Probate & Estate Administration
Are you the Executor of a loved one’s estate? Being called on to administer the estate of a deceased family member or friend can be a daunting task, filled with complexity and intricate legal requirements. Our qualified probate lawyers can simplify the probate process and help you navigate the complicated waters of estate administration.
What is Probate?
Probate is the process where a Personal Representative (i.e., the Executor) applies to the Surrogate Court for a Grant of Probate, proving the legality of the Will, and allowing her or him to distribute the estate assets to the proper beneficiaries. When an individual dies without a Will, the application is made for a Grant of Administration, sometimes called Letters of Administration. The processes of Probate and Administration are very similar. Once a Grant of Probate (or a Grant of Administration) has been obtained, the Personal Representative can gather the estate assets together and distribute them to the proper beneficiaries.
Do I need to Apply for a Grant of Probate?
If your loved one passed away with assets in her or his name alone, you likely have to apply for a Grant of Probate or Grant of Administration. However, there are certain exceptions where Probate or Administration are not required. The Calgary Probate Lawyers at West Legal can assist you in understanding the process of Probate or Administration and can give you a helpful understanding of the timelines and costs associated with applying for a Grant of Probate or Grant of Administration. Our probate lawyers will assist in:
- Reviewing your loved one’s estate assets to determine if Probate or Administration are required;
- Reviewing the Will to determine who is the appointed Personal Representative (i.e., Executor), who are the beneficiaries, and how the assets are to be distributed;
- Preparing the application for a Grant of Probate or Grant of Administration;
- Distributing the estate assets to the proper beneficiaries; and
- Advising generally on your role as Executor to ensure the process is completed properly and efficiently.
What does Probate cost in Alberta?
Free Probate Consultation
The Calgary Probate Lawyers at West Legal are happy to offer a no-charge, no-obligation consultation to help you determine if Probate is necessary, what steps will be involved, and what the overall cost will be. Let our probate lawyers simplify the process.